Deputies of the Logan County Sheriff’s Office report three 16-year-old female Ohio Hi-Point Career Center students were transported Monday by squad to an area hospital for treatment after a suspected overdose-related incident after they apparently ingested a prescription medication that one of the girls had in her possession.
The teens, who have not yet been identified, and deputies said Tuesday afternoon the condition of the students was unknown.
Monday, deputies working a school resource detail at the school were alerted to a squad being called for a student who had likely taken too much of a prescription medication. The female student was being combative with EMS personnel and EMS needed deputies’ assistance.
Based upon the statements that the student was making, deputies said she appeared to be hallucinating.
A second student was also was tended to by EMS personnel after she was “very out of it, appearing to almost be asleep.”
The two pupils were transported to an area hospital, and shortly thereafter while students were switching classes, deputies received another report of a third female student was observed having seizures and being “in and out of consciousness” in the animal science building.
She also was transported by EMS to an area medical facility.
Deputies spoke with administrative staff, who said one of the students went to the school nurse to be evaluated that day, stating that her stomach didn’t feel good. She reported taking a sleeping pill that morning.
Administrators said at least two of the students also had been on a Waynesfield-Goshen bus together that morning.
School officials also located a book bag belonging to one of the students that had 41 prescription pills inside a container. Following further interviews, deputies learned that amitriptyline, an antidepressant, likely was one of the medications taken by the students.
Deputies continue to investigate and information has been shared with the investigations division.