The Indian Lake Board of Education received updates on finances, facilities and furry friends to bolster mental health during their regular meeting in November.
Members of the ILHS Key Club gave a special presentation about their ongoing effort to bring an emotional support dog to the district. They are currently working with 4 Paws 4 Ability out of Xenia to adopt a highly-trained canine to help calm students who are having a difficult day or simply bring smiles to faces in hallways and classrooms.
ILHS Key Club Advisor Jen Ignarski told board members that the waiting list for the district to have its own dog is quite long, but the club may be able to acquire a foster dog yet this school year.
Superintendent Dr. Rob Underwood offered an update on the project to expand HVAC/air conditioning to the original 1969 sections of Indian Lake High School next year. Further inspection shows a few very small areas of asbestos that will be disturbed by the project causing a few extra steps in the process.
“We know that those items are going to be removed, therefore it’s going to push the timeline back a little bit and we’re going to have to hire an actual asbestos abatement contractor which will increase the cost of the project a little bit. At the end of the day, we know when it’s done that all of that asbestos will be mitigated and we will have a good facility.”
In addition, District Treasurer Coleen Reprogle presented her annual five-year forecast. With the state’s two-year budget still in question, Reprogle said there is always uncertainty when it comes to school funding.
Indian Lake also has a levy that will be up for renewal next year, prior to its expiration at the end of 2024.
Finally, Superintendent Underwood presented freshman Reagan Rash with a Certificate of Achievement for advancing to the State Cross Country Meet this fall.
In other action, the board:
• extended the following supplemental contracts: John Stahl, head softball; Wes Hall, Josh Shelton, Joe Teague, assistant baseball; Nick Richardson, assistant track; Renee Metzger, assistant cross country;
• approved the following volunteer indoor track coaches: Justin Metzger, Joe Teague, Renee Metzger and Nick Richardson;
• accepted the following donations: $10,000 from the Indian Lake Lions Club, $100 from Wayne & June Wickerham, and $400 donation from Indian Lake Chamber for the FFA Pole/Barn Project; $15,000 from the IL Athletic Boosters to the Athletic Fund, $4,960 from the IL Athletic Boosters to the football program;
• approved Jen Ignarski as a van driver, effective Nov. 7, as needed, at her regular hourly rate of $17.66;
• approved the 21st Century Grant Student superviser Amanda Fulkerson paid at a rate of $40 per hour by grant funds;
• accepted the bid through META cooperative purchasing to buy one special needs conventional bus at $147,827 to be delivered and paid for in fiscal year 2024; and
• approved the Memorandum of Understanding with the Indian Lake Education Association to add additional High School Assistant Wrestling Coaches.
Members changed the start time of the Dec. 19 regular meeting to 4:15 p.m., which takes place in the board office, for the final regular meeting of 2022.