Rushsylvania home destroyed by fire Sunday

fire logo

Three adult tenants of a 243 N. Sandusky St., Rushsylvania, were displaced from their home after it was destroyed by a fire that began Sunday afternoon and rekindled later Sunday evening, and likely was started by a space heater in the living room area.

Rushcreek Fire Department Chief Duane VanBuskirk reports that a resident of the home, which is owned by Floyd Goings, walked out of the bathroom Sunday to find that the living room was fully engulfed in flames.

The Rushcreek Fire Department responded about 1:45 p.m., along with assistance from Richland Township, DeGraff, Huntsville, Bokescreek and Ridgeway fire departments.

The fire chief said the home was fully engulfed when they arrived, and firefighters were on the scene for several hours. The rekindle occurred about 8 p.m., and at that time, the Logan Construction brought in a track hoe to take down the remaining structure because of concerns of the fire spreading to adjacent properties.

The two-story, single family home was deemed a total loss, with damage estimates totaling $50,000, Chief VanBuskirk said.

The Northern Miami Valley Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the home occupants.