A Rushsylvania couple lost their home overnight when a space heater ignited nearby clothing.
Joseph M. Leveck was not home when his wife, Connie, noticed the fire around 10:45 p.m. Tuesday, Rushcreek Fire Chief Duane VanBuskirk reports.
The fire quickly spread through the two-story, pre-20th century home at 3401 E. State Route 274.
“I live outside of Big Springs about three miles away,” VanBuskirk said. “and as I left to respond, I could see a glow in the sky coming from the fire.”
There was little firefighters could do other than keep the fire from spreading. The structure’s balloon frame construction, which lacks fire blocks, allowed the fire to spread quickly through the walls and into the attic.
Fire departments from Bellefontaine, Richland Township and Bokescreek responded to assist and crews have been on the scene throughout the night.
VanBuskirk and his volunteers were set to return to douse smoldering hot spots in the debris.
The Logan County Auditor’s Office lists the appraised value of the home at $46,980.