Half a dozen fire departments converged early Saturday on a fire that caused extensive damage to a large grain dryer at the grain storage facility of Triple K Farms LLC, 4770 County Road 61, Lewistown.
Flames shoot from a grain dryer Saturday at the grain storage facility at 4770 County Road 61, Lewistown. (PHOTO | SUBMITTED)
Indian Joint Fire District responded at about 6:30 a.m. and was on the scene until roughly 3 p.m., assisted by firefighters from Bellefontaine, Huntsville, Richland Township, Lakeview and DeGraff.
The cause has yet to be determined.
Witnesses said the top of the 25,000-bushel capacity, continuous feed-type GSI tower dryer looked like a “dome of fire.”
Adam Kipker, whose family owns the property, said he last checked the dryer about 4 a.m. and everything appeared normal and was “flowing fine.” Mr. Kipker’s father came to his home about 90 minutes later and alerted him to the blaze.
The younger Kipker noted there had never been any problems with the 10-year-old unit.
He estimated the blaze caused about $300,000 damage.
Bellefontaine firefighters were using the department’s ladder truck late Saturday morning to douse the structure from one side, while Indian Joint personnel worked from the ground on the opposite side in an effort to extinguish smoldering corn inside the dryer.
A crane was to be brought to the scene to open up the dryer and allow better access to the burning corn.
Corn was piled up around the base of the dryer.
The Washington Township Police Department, Logan County Sheriff's Office and Indian Lake EMS also assisted.
Steam emitting from the dryer often gave it the appearance of being on fire, Mr. Kipker said.
“This time it was.”
CLICK ON AN IMAGE TO VIEW SLIDE SHOW
Slideshow photos provided by Examiner Staff and public submissions