Bellefontaine Examiner

Switch to desktop

Panthers' Hardy: 'I hate I've distracted my team'

SPARTANBURG, S.C. (AP) — Convicted Pro Bowl defensive end Greg Hardy said he wants to remain with the Carolina Panthers beyond this season.

Hardy addressed the media before Sunday's practice but refused to answer specific questions about his recent conviction on two domestic violence charges except to say, "I hate that I have distracted my team."

Hardy did not show any remorse during a six-minute interview and didn't offer an apology to the victim in the domestic dispute.

Hardy, the team's franchise player, was convicted this month of assaulting a female and communicating threats and sentenced to a 60-day suspended jail sentence and 18 months' probation following a May 13 incident in which he attacked his ex-girlfriend in his apartment. Hardy is appealing the conviction.

When asked directly and indirectly about his conviction, Hardy replied on six different occasions "I can't answer that question."

Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman last week refused to discuss how the conviction might impact Hardy's long-term future with the team.

Gettleman would only say Hardy is under contract for one season.

Gettleman had briefly considered a long-term contract for Hardy earlier this offseason, but eventually made him the team's franchise player. Hardy quickly signed the one-year tender in March, paying him $13.1 million for one season.

Hardy said he was glad to sign the tender.

"It's awesome," Hardy said. "I get to stay another year and hang out with my guys and play some football. Nothing really wrong with that."

Hardy said his goal is to re-sign with Carolina at some point.

"I love this place," Hardy said. "This is a great atmosphere. I love the ownership (and) my teammates. I have had a great five years here."

Hardy, entering his fifth NFL season, tied a franchise-record with 15 sacks last season and has 26 over the past two seasons as a starter.

Hardy is clearly hoping his on-field success outweighs the negative publicity he created off the field.

Asked if he thinks he will remain in Carolina long term, Hardy said, "We will see. Play a good season and hopefully when you talk to Mr. Gettleman you can convince him to keep me."

The Panthers have decided to follow the league's lead and not suspend Hardy pending the outcome of his appeal in a jury trial.

Jordan Gross, who played 11 seasons for the Panthers before retiring earlier this year, said he believes the team is making the right decision.

"One thing that the organization does really well is they don't make rash decisions," Gross said. "That sometimes comes at the cost of looking like maybe they are not making a decision at all. But I believe the best thing to do is let everything play out. ... In life it's good to let your emotions die down a little bit and think a little more logically. I think that is what the team is doing and what the league is doing, too."

 

July 15, 2014 story here:

 

Hardy guilty on 2 counts of domestic violence 

STEVE REED, AP Sports Writer

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Panthers Pro Bowl defensive end Greg Hardy was found guilty Tuesday night of assaulting a female and communicating threats.

Mecklenburg County Judge Rebecca Thorn-Tin sentenced Hardy to 18 months' probation. A 60-day jail sentence was suspended.

Hardy's attorney Chris Fialko said he'll appeal and Hardy has asked for a jury trial in superior court. In North Carolina that means the terms of Hardy's probation are on hold until the trial — so he's free to travel with the team to training camp and compete in games.

A date for the jury trial hasn't been set.

The Panthers released a statement Tuesday night saying, "We have just learned of the verdict and are respectful of the process. We do not have a comment at this time."

Hardy and his agent Drew Rosenhaus refused to comment as they left the courtroom together.

The judge didn't buy Hardy's testimony that he was the one abused by the accuser and that he had asked her to leave his downtown apartment during a domestic dispute on May 13.

After nearly 11 hours of hearing testimony, Thorn-Tin told a somber Hardy that "the court is entirely convincedHardy is guilty of assault on a female and communicating threats."

Earlier in the morning the accuser testified that she was assaulted by Hardy at his apartment after a night of drinking. She also said Hardy threatened to kill her and put his hands around her neck.

"He looked me in my eyes and he told me he was going to kill me," said the accuser, a 24-year-old cocktail waitress in downtown Charlotte. "I was so scared I wanted to die. When he loosened his grip slightly, I said just, 'Do it. Kill me.'"

The accuser said she had used cocaine on the night of the incident and had been drinking.

She described Hardy as jealous and controlling, mentioning several times that Hardy didn't allow her do some things because he often paid her rent. She said she didn't immediately give police a statement out of fear of retribution.

"He had told me in past if I took food out of his family's mouth he was going to kill me," the accuser said.

Hardy and his business manager Sammy Curtis both testified that Hardy never hit nor threw the accuser, and didn't communicate threats. Hardy said the accuser became angry when he wouldn't have sex with her and left the room to sleep in the living room. He said the accuser then became angry and began slamming doors.

Hardy said the accuser then asked him, "Do you want to see crazy? I'll show you crazy."

Hardy said she threw herself into the bathtub, causing the bruises she had on her body. Hardy said she also threatened to kill herself if she left his building.

However, Thorn-Tin seemed more inclined to believe the testimony of the accuser and the prosecution's top witness, Christina Lawrence, another woman who was in Hardy's apartment at the time of the incident.

Lawrence said she was sleeping in the other room with a friend of Hardy's when she heard scuffling and fighting and what sounded like a woman being slammed into the wall and dragged across the floor. She said she also heard the accuser say, "What are you going to do, break my arm?"

Hardy and his accuser began dating last September, but had broken up at the Pro Bowl in February. Hardysaid they had had sexual relations "five or six times" since.

Hardy's play on the field has been dynamic. He's been a key member of Carolina's second-ranked defense, finishing last season with 15 sacks. The Panthers led the league last season with 50 sacks.

In four seasons with the Panthers, Hardy has 33 sacks, 26 in the last two seasons. He signed a $13.1 million, one-year contract in March as the team's franchise player.

It's unclear at this point how the verdict will affect Hardy's long-term future with the Panthers.

The team is particularly sensitive to domestic violence issues, particularly in light of their history with wide receiver Rae Carruth. Carruth was found guilty of conspiring to murder his girlfriend, Cherica Adams, who was carrying his child. He was sentenced to 18 to 24 years in prison and remains in jail.

Share this post

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google BookmarksSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn