Bellefontaine Examiner

Switch to desktop

Levy necessary to keep West Liberty vibrant

Dear village residents,   

As mayor of the village of West Liberty, I would like to address the concerns of myself and village council in regards of the renewal levy. I cannot stress enough the importance of passing the levy. It is a renewal and it is no new money. I would like to inform the community that we need this money to be able to sustain our village in the years to come. In 2009, the state of Ohio cut funding to municipalities. Meaning the only consistent funding coming into the village was/is from the levy for the last five years. As mayor and village council, we felt that in order to maintain our standard of life here we need to make a proactive approach to generate revenue to provide the services that the community expects.

I believe that the citizens in our community do not realize our state and federal governments have pushed the responsibilities of survival back to the local levels of government. In 2008, we received $257,388 in local government, inheritance and interest and in 2012 we received $61,426.

We have made cuts on our budget over the last five years. We believe if we are to cut any more we will be cutting into the bones of our budget and the effects will not be well received. Some important issues that we face as a community are our aging streets. We no longer have the money to make necessary repairs.

I firmly believe in order for our community to remain vibrant, we must pass the renewal levy for not only ourselves, but for our future generations that will live in this community.

Mayor Gregory J. Hostetler and Council
West Liberty

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google BookmarksSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn