Dr. Kenneth C. Lynn, a Logan County native, passed away Sunday, Jan. 26, 2014, at his home in Rockville, Md.
He was born in Iron City, Ohio, on May 22, 1924, a son of the late Clyde L. and Grace S. Lynn. He attended Bellefontaine schools through eighth grade and graduated from West Liberty High School in 1942.
In 1947 he married Bettylu Hines of West Liberty. He made his home in Montgomery County, Md., since 1957.
He is survived by his wife, Bettylu and their two sons, Dr. Christopher K. (Elloise) of Holland, Ohio, and Dr. Nicholas J. (Lisa) of West End, N.C.; and brother-in-law, David D. (Anne) Hines of Springfield.
An Ohio licensed embalmer and funeral director, he worked with his father at the Troyer-Lynn Funeral Home (now Eichholtz, Daring & Sanford) in West Liberty before entering dental school at The Ohio State University.
Upon graduation in 1956, Dr. Lynn was selected for a rotating internship at the United States Public Health Service Hospital in Seattle. During a 32-year career as a Commissioned Dental Officer in the USPHS, Dr. Lynn saw service in the Division of Hospitals and Outpatient Clinics, Office of the USPHS Surgeon General, National Library of Medicine and the National Institute of Dental Research, one of the National Institutes of Health. At the NIDR, he was instrumental in developing online databases that improved coordination and dissemination of information to the research community at large. He received the USPHS Commendation Medal in 1984 and the USPHS Meritorious Service Medal in 1989.
He was a World War II Army veteran with duty stops in China, Korea and Japan. He participated in many professional organizations and was an invited member of the editorial board of the Journal of the History of Dentistry. He was a member of Omicron Kappa Upsilon dental honorary and Beta Phi Mu library honorary. Dr. Lynn was an elder of the Bradley Hills Presbyterian Church.
A private family memorial service is planned. He will be interred at a future date at the Kingscreek Baptist Church cemetery in Urbana.
Memorial contributions may be sent to the Bradley Hills Presbyterian Church, 6601 Bradley Blvd., Bethesda, MD 20817.