Created on Tuesday, 10 June 2014 Written by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
CINCINNATI (AP) — Gamblers in the Cincinnati area are now spending more money in Ohio than Indiana.
An analysis by The Cincinnati Enquirer (http://cin.ci/1hDMiic ) found that gamblers for the first time are spending more at the Cincinnati casino and two racinos in the region than in neighboring southeast Indiana.
Ohio casino revenue reports show the $33.9 million spent in May at the casino and racinos accounted for nearly 54 percent of the money played in the southwest Ohio region. The three southeast Indiana riverboats took the rest, or 46 percent of local gambling dollars.
The riverboats took in 64.3 percent of all gambling dollars in the region in May 2013, before the new racinos opened.
The shift means more tax revenue funding for Ohio schools, counties and municipalities — and less in Indiana.