Bellefontaine Examiner

Switch to desktop

Effects linger for Ohio breeder's poisoned dogs

BROWNSVILLE, Ohio (AP) — Seventeen dogs poisoned with antifreeze at an Ohio family's kennels are still showing some problems but have returned home after veterinarians used intravenous vodka to counteract the poison's effect.

Poisoned-Dogs Sidd

Breeder Don Butts, 73, of Mount Perry, is over come with emotion as Buffy, the last one of his 18 labradors to be hospitalized, is released to go home by office manager Kim Busby at the Masterson Veterinary Clinic in Somerset, Ohio Wednesday, April 2, 2014. "I cried so hard," said Butts about seeing Buffy. "I've never been so happy to see a dog in my life." Last week between Wednesday and Friday, 18 of Butts' Labradors were poisoned with ethylene glycol, commonly known as antifreeze, and had to be rushed to Masterson Veterinary Clinic once Don realized something was wrong after his dogs began to have seizures. An 8 year-old male named Storm was the only dog to die and his diagnosis saved the rest. "How anyone could be that cruel, I won't live long enough to understand," said Butts. "I never dreamed I would bring this many home. This is the greatest success story of any vet I've ever heard of." (The Columbus Dispatch / Eamon Queeney)

The Columbus Dispatch (http://bit.ly/1i4kzBh ) reports it could be a while before Licking County breeder Don Butts of Blue Ribbon Labradors knows how his dogs will be affected.

His family and veterinarians tried to help the dogs with the old-school vodka remedy. One dog died, another lost significant weight, and a third is moving slowly and having trouble breathing.

Investigators have no leads in the animals' poisoning last week at the kennels on a rural property about 45 miles east of Columbus.

One of the breeder's customers is offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to a conviction.

 

Share this post

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google BookmarksSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn