Ohio grand jury to get Guardsman's explosives case

LONDON, Ohio (AP) — The case against an Indiana National Guardsman who was stopped in central Ohio with dozens of bombs and four guns in his vehicle will go to a county grand jury, a judge ruled Friday.

Andrew Scott Boguslawski, 43, appeared for a preliminary hearing in Madison County Municipal Court, and his case was sent to the county court.

Boguslawski, who gave a Moores Hill, Ind., address, was arrested late Jan. 1 after a State Highway Patrol trooper stopped him for going 85 mph in a 70-mph zone on Interstate 70 just west of Columbus. Authorities say they found 48 explosives, four guns and a remote detonation device when they searched the vehicle. Boguslawski had worked at an Indiana National Guard training center near Butlerville, Ind., and indicated to troopers that he had items for training purposes.

"There's no indication ... that Mr. Boguslawski is in the process or was in the process of trying to hurt anyone," defense attorney Mark Babb said. "I think there's a lot of facts that need to come out yet, and unfortunately that's going to take time." He declined to comment further on why the explosives were in the vehicle.

He said a not-guilty plea had been entered for Boguslawski, who is being held on a $1 million bond.

The prosecutor in the case did not immediately respond to a message left Friday.

The Indiana National Guard said Boguslawski received military intelligence training and had served there since 2007, after transferring from the Tennessee National Guard. He joined the Pennsylvania National Guard out of high school and also served in the Ohio National Guard, according to Indiana guard records. Officials at Wright State University near Dayton said he earned a bachelor's degree in organizational leadership in 2006.

Boguslawski had been in the Indiana guard's medical discharge unit since November, but a guard spokeswoman said she couldn't discuss his medical condition.

During the traffic stop, Boguslawski told Trooper William Scott Davis that he didn't have weapons, but Davis spotted the butt of a gun tucked between the man's legs.

Davis then held Boguslawski at gunpoint and called for backup, leading to a search that police say turned up the explosives and weapons. The Ohio fire marshal's office and federal agents soon joined the search.

The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives searched his home in Indiana after his arrest, but the warrant has been sealed by a federal judge.