Created on Thursday, 12 December 2013 Written by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
CINCINNATI (AP) — The Cincinnati mayor says he plans a major announcement regarding the future of the city's beleaguered streetcar project.
Mayor John Cranley plans to talk about the project Thursday morning at city hall.
It's coming three days after supporters of the project said they will head off the city administration's efforts to scrap it by trying to put the issue before the voters in a special election.
A newly elected and deeply divided city council voted last week to stop all spending on the $133 million project while they study costs.
The Federal Transit Administration has given the city until Dec. 19 to decide whether to move forward with the project.
The streetcar has been under construction for months, with city streets torn up and the first rail laid.