Bellefontaine Examiner

Switch to desktop

Ohioans cautioned on dangers of carbon monoxide


COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Ohio officials are drawing attention to the dangers of carbon monoxide exposure after a higher than usual annual increase in emergency room visits and poison-control calls related to the colorless, odorless gas.


The Ohio Department of Health and State Fire Marshal say restarting a furnace that's been idle or increased usage of generators and portable heating devices may help explain the trend.

They suggest these safety tips:

—Install a battery-powered CO detector in your home and check it every six months.

—Have your heating system, water heater and other gas, oil and coal-burning appliances serviced annually.

—Never run a car inside a garage attached to the house.

—Never heat your house with a gas oven.




State Fire Marshall:

Centers for Disease Control:

Department of Health:


Share this post

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google BookmarksSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn