Created on Monday, 12 August 2013 Written by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — About 450 people have asked to be banned from the four casinos in Ohio, where the state plans to spend more than $6 million by the end of this fiscal year to prevent and treat gambling addictions.
The Columbus Dispatch (http://bit.ly/17iHapA ) reports much of that goes to county boards that address mental health and addiction services.
The Ohio Casino Control Commission's coordinator of responsible gaming says the state sought to address problem gambling even before more addicts came forward. More than 5,000 calls came into Ohio's problem-gambling helpline in a year, though some of those weren't about addressing an addiction.
A state survey last year said 250,000 adult Ohioans are either problem gamblers or at risk of gambling problems. That number is expected to rise as gambling sites are added.