Created on Tuesday, 06 August 2013 Written by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Toxic blue-green algae found in one of central Ohio's largest lakes have prompted state warnings for swimmers at three beaches.
The Columbus Dispatch (http://bit.ly/16oP1ll ) reports that tests of water samples taken last week at Buckeye Lake detected a liver toxin produced by the algae. That led state officials to upgrade warning signs at Fairfield, Brooks Park and Crystal beaches on the 3,300-acre lake east of Columbus.
The advisories warn against swimming or wading by seniors, young children and those with compromised immune systems.
The blue-green algae can be found in most Ohio lakes. Toxic algae grow thick feeding on phosphorus in manure, sewage and fertilizers that rains wash into nearby streams.
The toxic algae can produce liver and nerve toxins that can sicken people and kill pets.