Created on Friday, 07 June 2013 Written by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio committee formed to evaluate school safety after last year's school shootings is recommending that districts form partnerships with local first responders and use a newly developed template to develop safety plans.
Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine released the task force's recommendations Friday. It was formed in December following last year's school shootings in Connecticut and Chardon in northeast Ohio.
At the center is a new safety-plan template that can be downloaded from the attorney general's office website and customized by school districts.
DeWine said districts must work closely with local first-responders to prevent school incidents and respond properly when one occurs.
He said development of the plans must be a "holistic approach" involving many groups in the communities.