UPDATE: Father charged after boy falls out of vehicle



Natividad de Jesus Hernandez, who allegedly ran over his 4-year-old son, Angel Gustbabo Hernandez, with his car Thursday morning, has been charged with leaving the scene of a crash.

His bond was set at $500,000 at an arraignment Friday morning in Marysville Municipal Court, according to the Marysville Journal-Tribune. Mr. Hernandez is currently lodged in Tri-County Jail.

Judge Michael J. Grigsby will continue the arraignment at 8 a.m. Tuesday so the court can get an interpreter for the defendant. Columbus resident Mr. Hernandez does not speak English well, his brother told the judge during the hearing.

“Of course it was an accident,” his brother said. “Who would want to kill his son?” The boy was Hernandez’s only son.

The accident occurred shortly after 11 a.m. Thursday on Brock Road between Industrial Parkway and Briarwood Drive in Union County, troopers from the Ohio State Highway Patrol report.

Mr. Hernandez, 30, of Columbus, was driving a northeastbound minivan when the toddler fell out of the vehicle.

The child was transported by Jerome Township EMS to Dublin Methodist Hospital, where he later died. The boy was not in a safety seat or booster seat at the time of the accident.

Alcohol and/or drugs are not believed to be a factor.

Hernandez’s girlfriend, Cristina Sanchez, who is not the mother of the child, told the Marysville Journal-Tribune that there was no car seat, but the father had a seat belt on the child, although she doesn’t know if the little boy took off the seat belt.

“I don’t know what happened,” she said in tears.

The driver and other passengers in the vehicle were not injured. The Union County Sheriff’s Office and the Jerome Township Fire Department assisted at the scene.

The accident remains under investigation at this time, according to the patrol. Troopers from the patrol’s Investigative Services Unit are assisting with the investigation.

Attorney Rick Rodger of the Union County Prosecutor’s Office asked for the $500,000 bond for the defendant because he is a flight risk. Mr. Hernandez was reportedly found with three IDs with different names and ages, and three different welfare cards.

Ms. Sanchez said that when the first responders came to the scene, they “took him from his arms, and never asked him anything. ... They never came to him. “No one told him to stay at the scene.”

She further explained that Mr. Hernandez was upset and did not know what to do, so he went to her house. From there, they went to the hospital.