An East Liberty man, who authorities now believe was high on marijuana at the time of an Aug. 11 crash that killed a Galion motorcyclist and severely injured his girlfriend, faces four felony charges in an indictment handed up by a Logan County grand jury Tuesday.
Christian L. Fischer, 29, of 9476 County Road 153, was charged by indictment with aggravated vehicular homicide, a second-felony; aggravated vehicular homicide, a third-felony; aggravated vehicular assault, a third-degree felony; aggravated vehicular assault, a third-degree felony; and operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, a first-degree misdemeanor.
Officers of the Bellefontaine Police Department did not suspect alcohol was a factor in the crash, but they obtained a blood sample from the motorist about three hours and 45 minutes after the crash.
The sample was requested after motorcyclist Charles S. Carpenter, 39, of Galion, died at a Columbus hospital.
Laboratory results provided to the Logan County Prosecutor’s Office indicate the defendant had enough marijuana in his system to meet the legal threshold of under the influence.
Tests on the whole blood sample — the most reliable source — show the motorist had more than 34 nanograms per milliliter of blood. The minimum level under Ohio law is two nanograms per milliliter.
According to police reports, the defendant turned southbound from the U.S. Route 33 ramp onto southbound U.S. Route 68 and reached for a dropped cigarette and lighter.
His sport utility vehicle crossed over into the northbound lanes and struck Mr. Carpenter’s motorcycle around 2:45 p.m. Aug. 11.
His passenger, Cathy L. Goodyear, 41, also of Galion, was flown by LifeFlight to Grant Medical Center for treatment of a leg fracture, broken ribs and internal injuries.
Other people named in indictments were:
• Mark A. Hayes, 44, of 4778 Napoleon St., Huntsville: passing bad checks, a fifth-degree felony;
• John Clary, 23, of 5789 Township Road 55: trafficking in drugs, a fifth-degree felony;
• Dominic Purnell, 29, at large: trafficking in drugs, a fifth-degree felony;
• Adair Robinson, 26, of 508 N. Madriver St.: possession of drugs, a third-degree felony;
• Christopher A. Price, 26, of 142 Vance St., West Mansfield: illegal use of a minor in nudity-oriented material, a fifth-degree felony; and importuning, a third-degree felony;
• David C. Horn II, 35, of Ada: burglary, a third-degree felony;
• Colten Fullenkamp, 18, of 8524 County Road 97: two counts of burglary, third-degree felonies;
• Nicholas J. Beair, 24, of 215 S. Springhill St.: theft, a fifth-degree felony;
• Jerry Nelson, 28, of 139 Shady Lane, Russells Point: two counts of forgery, fifth-degree felonies;
• Garrett M. Pickering, 21, of 2165 County Road 11: violating a civil protection order, a third-degree felony; breaking and entering, a fifth-degree felony; and violating a civil protection order, a first-degree misdemeanor;
• Erin E. Horne, 28, of 3082 S. Township Road 32: deception to obtain a dangerous drug, a fifth-degree felony;
• Zachary R. Butler, 23, of Richwood: felonious assault, second-degree felony;
• Brett L. Zachariah, 43, of Mt. Victory: domestic violence, a third-degree felony;
• Lisle D. Dildine, 31, of 11671 Viola Lane, Lakeview: receiving stolen property, a fifth-degree felony;
• Jair L. Mundy, 28, of 504 W. Chillicothe Ave.: possession of drugs, a fourth-degree felony; and possession of drugs, a fifth-degree felony;
• Marcus A. Stebleton, 23, at large: kidnapping, a second-degree felony; and domestic violence, a fourth-degree misdemeanor; and
• Betty Jean Carter, 23, of 2166 County Road 29: misuse of a credit card, a fourth-degree felony; and theft of a credit card, a fifth-degree felony.