Created on Friday, 11 October 2013 Written by JOEL E. MAST
Just three weeks from the start of John Shook’s trial on allegations he had sexual conduct with a Riverside High School student, a Logan County grand jury returned an amended indictment.
A former band director Mr. Shook, 35, of 816 S. County Road 24, DeGraff, was indicted earlier this year on a charge of rape along with lesser counts of sexual battery and gross sexual imposition.
He now faces six counts of sexual battery and one count of attempted sexual battery, all third-degree felonies; and three counts of gross sexual imposition, fourth-degree felonies
He is accused of sexual conduct and inappropriate touching with three female students.
The Riverside Local School District terminated his teaching contracts on March 26.
As part of the ongoing investigation, the Logan County Prosecutor’s Office determined the evidence did not support a rape charge.
A five-day trial is set to start Oct. 29 and it is set to include a jury view of the school buildings.
Other indictments handed up this week include:
• Steven L. Treen, 40, of 217 W. Auburn Ave.: two counts of rape, first-degree felonies; gross sexual imposition, a third-degree felony; and gross sexual imposition, a fourth-degree felony;
• Johnathon M. Kramer, 22, of 11524 Leoline Drive, Lakeview: three counts of rape, first-degree felonies; and two counts of gross sexual imposition, third-degree felonies;
• Jason Brandon, 28, at large: two counts of trafficking in drugs, fifth-degree felonies;
• Christina Cox, 29, at large: theft from the elderly, a fifth-degree felony;
• Stephanine Hartline, 22, of 402 1/2 E. Columbus Ave.: two counts of theft, fourth-degree felonies;
• Mindy N. Swiger, 29, of Sidney: three counts of forgery and three counts of receiving stolen property, all fifth-degree felonies; and two counts of passing bad checks and one count of attempting to pass bad checks, all first-degree misdemeanors;
• Anthony Mathews, 26, of 321 E. Patterson Ave.: complicity to commit burglary and complicity to commit grand theft, both third-degree felonies;
• Shawn McDonald, 36, of 3966 County Road 39, Huntsville: burglary and theft of a firearm, both third-degree felonies; and theft, a first-degree misdemeanor;
• Stephanie McClain 28, of 525 S. Madriver St.: complicity to burglary and theft of a firearm, both third-degree felonies;
• Cody Predmore, 22, of Zanesfield: theft of firearm and illegal conveyance, both third-degree felonies;
• Nathan Beach, 27, of Zanesfield: theft, a third-degree felony;
• John Moran, 40, of 14118 Rosewood St., Lakeview: theft of drugs, a fourth-degree felony;
• Kimberly Carnes, 35, at large: theft, a fifth-degree felony;
• Aushele G. Sarver, 19, of 13938 Blue Jacket Path, Lakeview: complicity to theft, a third-degree felony; and complicity to theft, a fifth-degree felony;
• Melissa Keeton, 39, of Medway: theft, a fifth-degree felony;
• Danyle E. Piersoll, 35, of Springfield : possession of drugs, a fourth-degree felony;
• Wade R. Clem, 31, of West Liberty: burglary, a second-degree felony;
• Taish A. Wellnitz, 33, of 4000 Alpine Parkway, Lot M2, Valley Hi: assault, a fourth-degree felony; and escape, a fifth-degree felony; and
• David K. Trostel, 26, of 310 E. Main St., Quincy: attempted burglary, a third-degree felony.