Bellefontaine Examiner

Switch to desktop

UPDATE: Kentucky fugitive nabbed Wednesday at Brother’s Bar



Man charged with murder of Lexington doctor

A team of U.S. Marshals and local law enforcement apprehended a 65-year-old Kentucky man Wednesday at Brother’s Bar, 11977 N. State Route 235, Lakeview, on warrants for telephone harassment of a Lexington dermatologist who was slain outside her office Sept 1.



Marty Lee Roe was arrested Wednesday about 9:45 p.m. at the bar just down the road from where he had been staying, deputies of the Logan County Sheriff’s Office reported.

Deputies and officers from Lexington assisted the U.S. Marshals’ Fugitive Task Force in the apprehension.

A team of more than 10 lawmen entered the bar for the apprehension which included taking the suspect to floor, witnesses reported.

He is currently lodged in the Logan County Jail on the warrants.

Lexington police have said the dermatologist, Martha Post, 55, was shot multiple times as she apparently was backing her vehicle out of the parking lot at her office.

Published reports say she was pronounced dead at 8:25 that night.

Lexington police charged Mr. Roe with the murder of Dr. Post Thursday. He was also charged with tampering with physical evidence later in the day.

Dr. Post’s husband, Dr. Robert Truitt, has identified Mr. Roe as a man who had been stalking his wife.

She had complained to police at least twice over more than a year that he was making alarming phone calls to her, according to Lexington police documents made available to the Lexington Herald-Leader this week through a Kentucky Open Records Act request.

According to one of the documents, the slain doctor complained to police on June 16, 2010, that Mr. Roe, a former employee who had renovated the couple’s professional office, had called her cell phone numerous times.

She told police that he had developed an obsession with her. She said he said he wanted to be with her and wanted her to leave her husband.

On Dec. 15, 2010, Post and her husband told police that a known person had been calling them “with no legitimate purpose, causing annoyance and alarm,” according to another police document. Dr. Truitt told a Herald-Leader reporter Wednesday that the person was Mr. Roe.

At one time, Mr. Roe had lived in an apartment in the basement of the office building where the doctors practiced because he had no place to live, Dr. Truitt said.

The suspect had been a guest in the couple’s home for Thanksgiving and Christmas, Dr. Truitt said. Later, Mr. Roe began having problems, and he stopped living in the basement apartment, the doctor  said last week.

Investigators have been looking for Roe since this weekend, according to reports from police in Ohio.

Montgomery County authorities said Wednesday that they had received a bulletin at 7:14 a.m. Friday to be on the lookout for Mr. Roe in reference to Dr. Post’s slaying.

Dr. Truitt said last week that the suspect had traveled between Lexington and Dayton.

It’s not clear when police located Roe.

Share this post

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google BookmarksSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn