Bellefontaine Examiner

Switch to desktop

Standoff in Richwood leads to suicide

RICHWOOD — The village of Richwood was in veritable lockdown Sunday afternoon after a standoff incident led to a suicide.

According to the Richwood Police Department, at approximately 2:22 p.m. Sunday, a 911 call was received by the Union County Sheriff’s Office Communication Center reporting that a man had pointed a gun at his estranged wife and her 20-year-old son at 216 N. Franklin St. The man with the gun was identified as Jeffrey Mayse, 48, who was later found deceased inside his home from a gunshot wound.

Richwood police officers and deputies from the Union County Sheriff’s Office responded to the scene, which led to a standoff when Mayse refused to come out.

“When officers arrived, Mayse briefly came out of the house, but after seeing law enforcement he immediately went back inside and refused to come out. Several residences in the area were evacuated for safety reasons and several streets were closed as a precaution,” Richwood Police Chief Monte Asher reported via a media release.

A law enforcement Nixle emergency notice was sent out at approximately 4 p.m. to warn residents that the areas of North Franklin Street, Beatty Avenue, North Clinton Street, Wood Street and Richwood Park were closed to traffic as the incident was assessed.

Special Task Force Response Teams from the Union County Sheriff’s Office and the Marysville Police Department were called to the scene, as well as crisis negotiators.

“Negotiators made numerous attempts to contact Mr. Mayse, but all attempts were unsuccessful,” the release states. “Entry was made into the residence where Mr. Mayse was located deceased with what appears to be a single self-inflicted gun-shot wound.”

Roads were opened back up to traffic at approximately 7 p.m., according to a second Nixle e-mail alert.

The Union County Sheriff’s Office, the Marysville Police Department, the Ohio State Highway Patrol, the Northern Union County Fire and EMS District, the Marysville Fire Department, the Union County Emergency Management Agency, and the Union County Coroner’s Office assisted the Richwood Police Department at the scene.

The incident remains under investigation by the Richwood Police Department.

Share this post

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google BookmarksSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn