Bellefontaine Examiner

Switch to desktop


Kenton man gets 60 days for rape of minor

KENTON — Michael Hites Jr., 39, of Kenton, was sentenced Friday morning to 60 days in jail for the rape of a 17-year-old girl and designated as a Tier 1 sexual offender in Hardin County Common Pleas Court.

Reports indicate Hites was intoxicated when he raped the girl in his home on Stevens Street in Kenton, according to witnesses at his October trial. The 39-year-old told Judge William Hart he didn’t believe he had a drinking problem, but the judge disagreed.

He also ordered Hites not to consume alcohol or illegal drugs during his three years of community control. He is to perform 75 hours of community service, have no contact with the victim or her family and is to have no contact with anyone under the age of 18 without supervision.


Woman gets Christmas week in jail for role in drug death

KENTON — Amanda Johnson of Lima was sentenced Friday in Hardin County Common Pleas Court to prison for three years, five years of community control and Christmas week in jail for the death of her best friend Emily Christen, who died of an overdose on in April 2011.

Johnson is the final of three defendants to be sentenced in Christen’s death. Derek Mullett was sent to prison and Austin Griesheimer was given community service by Hart in earlier court rulings.

The prosecution presented the case that on April 30, 2011, Mullett, Griesheimer, Johnson and Christen all went to a drug dealer’s house in Lima and purchased a single tablet of Opana, a prescription painkiller similar to OxyContin. 

Mullett and the two women divided the pill at Mullett’s home south of Ada later that evening. When Johnson left for work the next morning, her best friend was sleeping at the house. When she returned, Christen was dead.


Three face ‘hit list’ charges

KENTON — One of three juvenile girls charged with creating a “hit list” of faculty and student targets at Kenton Middle School appeared in the Hardin County Juvenile Court Thursday morning. A “hit list” was found Sept. 17 in a hallway at the school.

The girls now face charges of inducing panic and disorderly conduct. They were suspended from school following the incident and charges were filed.

Two of the juveniles have secured attorneys and denied the charges against them. The third girl appeared Thursday morning with her mother and asked Judge James Rapp to appoint legal counsel in the case.

The arraignment of the girl will be continued Dec. 20. No hearing date for the other two girls has been set.


Teacher's aide has license stripped

MARYSVILLE — Ohio's State Board of Education voted unanimously Tuesday to permanently strip Kate A. Calaski-Clapp, 39, of Marysville of her license as a teachers' aide.

Ohio Department of Education spokesman John Charlton said with the revocation, Calaski-Clapp will not be permitted to ever again work as a licensed educator in Ohio.

Charlton said the state board of education received a referral after Calaski-Clapp pleaded no contest and was found guilty of domestic violence and child endangering in May.

Calaski-Clapp did not request with the board of education a hearing to defend herself or to challenge a report recommending her license be revoked.

The woman was licensed only as a teachers' aide. She worked for Marysville Exempted Village School District "a couple of days, as needed," during the 2005-06 school year, said Lynnette Focht, the district's human resources director.

Focht said Calaski-Clapp worked one day for the district in the 2009-10 school year.


Prison sentence linked to dumped body

MARYSVILLE — A local woman involved in the sale of drugs that lead to the death of a man has been sentenced to nine years in prison, according to area reports.

Mary Martha Miller, 47, of Marysville, has pleaded guilty to one count of involuntary manslaughter and one count of perjury.

 Following a sentencing recommendation agreed to by both prosecutors and the defendant, Union County Common Pleas Court Judge Don Fraser sentenced the woman to nine years in prison.

Miller was actually scheduled for trial; however, an error by her attorney Alison Boggs caused the trial to be canceled. Within hours, however, Miller decided to take a plea agreement that called for her to plead guilty and accept the nine-year prison recommendation in exchange for prosecutors dropping other charges.

Union County Assistant Prosecutor Terry Hord said Miller “caused the death” of Scott Stephen Woods, found dead behind the Flamingo Bar and Grill in Marysville's Uptown at 210 N. Plum St. at 5:32 p.m. on June 13, 2008.

Woods, who was 34 at the time, reportedly suffered a drug overdose before his body was dumped.



Share this post

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google BookmarksSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn