Created on Friday, 07 December 2012 Written by DAN ROBINSON, Kenton Times Staff Writer
KENTON — The bond for two of the three Hardin County men held for their alleged involvement in a series of thefts of more than 300 items was reduced Thursday morning.
Michael Moore, 21, Jasin Rorabough, 19 and Aaron Sells, 27, each appeared with their court-appointed attorneys before Hardin County Court Municipal Court Judge Greg Grimslid and waived their right to a preliminary hearing. Each is charged with one count of receiving stolen property, a felony of the fourth degree. Additional charges are expected to be filed against the trio in coming weeks.
Each attorney asked Grimslid to consider reducing the $50,000 bond he set for the defendants at their arraignment Monday.
Attorney Nicole Winget told the judge her client, Moore, had no adult felony record and should be allowed to spend Christmas with his family in Mount Victory. Rorabough, of Ridgeway, also had no felony record, said his lawyer Scott Johnson.
Prosecutor Brad Bailey agreed neither man had an adult felony record, although Moore had been convicted as a juvenile. However, noted Bailey, he opposed reducing the bond since the defendants are believed involving in the theft of hundreds of items and storing them at a rural Ridgeway home.
Grimslid said the $50,000 bond appeared excessive for a fourth-degree felony charge and reduced it to $25,000 for Moore and Rorabough.
But the results were different for Sells. His attorney, June Fitzgerald, had seen the bond reductions for the other defendants and asked Grimslid to allow Sells to spend Christmas with his wife, daughter and family by reducing the bond.
Again Bailey opposed, but with more force than the previous defendants. Sells does have an adult felony record, Bailey said. He was found guilty of breaking and entering and theft charges, the prosecutor said. A minimum of seven stolen firearms were recovered at the home owned by his mother. Sells had stolen coins in his person when he was arrested, continued Bailey, who believes Sells also stole and hocked jewelry and other items he stole from the community.
Bailey said Sells had stolen from his neighbors and was a threat to the community.
Grimslid agreed and continued bond for Sells at $50,000.
The cases of each man were bound over to the Hardin County Common Pleas Court.
A fourth suspect was to be interviewed later today in connection with the theft ring, Hardin County Sheriff’s Detective Michael Conley said after the hearing. The man was stopped for a traffic violation on Nov. 27 and his arrest led to the investigation against Sells, Moore and Rorabough.
“He is not in custody yet,” said Conley of the fourth suspect.
Others may also face charges, the detective continued.
“It’s hard to say how many will be charged with this,” said Conley.
He estimated there were more than 300 items recovered at the house north of Ridgeway and since they were removed, other items were found at two other homes. Conley estimates $75,000 to $100,000 worth of property has been found.
The staff at the sheriff’s office is currently unloading the trucks which transported the loot to the Jacob Parrott Safety Center in Kenton. He estimated it will take another two to three weeks to store and list the stolen items.
“Our people have been overwhelmed with phone calls,” said Conley.