Bellefontaine Examiner

Switch to desktop

GOOD MORNING, GOOD NEWS: Family thankful for first responders’ efforts

Next week when Kayden Roethlisberger and his family sit down to Thanksgiving dinner at their West Mansfield area home, they will have much to be thankful for in addition to the bountiful feast set before them.



The 21⁄2-year-old boy is in good health today following an accident at his home Sept. 27 that could have claimed his life.

His family members are very appreciative of the efforts of the first responders who helped them that day, his mother, Savannah Godwin, reported in a Letter to the Forum of the Examiner.

“We couldn’t have asked for a better response,” she wrote.

On that eventful day, Ms. Godwin and several others were working to unload furniture from a trailer at their 10079 County Road 26 home. They thought that Kayden was playing a safe distance away from them, and then pulled the pin to let the trailer gate down.

“We had no idea that Kayden was right at our feet,” Ms. Godwin said. “The gate came down and hit him right in the face.”

After being hit by the heavy gate, the child was losing a lot of blood, which eventually would amount to about 21⁄2 pints. In a panic, his mother quickly dialed 911.

She spoke with Logan County Sheriff’s Office dispatchers Katrina Nicholl and Doug Mitchell, who tried to keep her calm and tell her that help was on the way.

“The dispatchers on duty that evening were outstanding,” Ms. Godwin said.

Bokescreek squad responded to the scene, and transported Kayden to Mary Rutan Hospital. Sgt. Chris Brown and Deputy Joe Layman from the sheriff’s office also were called to assist the family.

See EFFORTS on Page 5

Kayden’s injuries at first appeared to be serious with a possible cracked skull and crushed cheekbones. The youngster was flown by LifeFlight helicopter to St. Vincent Mercy Children’s Hospital in Toledo with his mother at his side.

“It was a very gloomy picture,” Ms. Godwin said. “It was all a blur to me as if it was a nightmare that I wanted to wake up from.

“You don’t think something like this can happen to your child. My boys had only had bumps and bruises before.

“Kayden’s older brother, Ethan, was so upset and said he didn’t want his brother to die.”

In the midst of this crisis, Ms. Godwin said Sgt. Brown counseled her to give her some perspective and peace of mind.

“He has young children, too, so he understood how I was feeling and he related to me so well. He explained how although my son is young, he is like a little man with a big man’s mind.

“I can’t thank him enough for his help.”

Once the boy arrived at the Toledo area hospital, his family’s entire outlook improved when they learned that Kayden would just need some stitches and had not sustained any damage to his skull or any broken bones.

“They told us we were so fortunate that the gate hit his face instead of right in the head because otherwise he might not have lived,” his mother explained.

Kayden was released from the hospital a short time later, and the family arrived home to find about 50 cards from concerned community members.

“All of the people from our local community were so wonderful,” Ms. Godwin wrote in her letter.

Also at their home, the family was visited by members of the Bokescreek squad, including Jen Frazier, who also had texted and called Ms. Godwin during Kayden’s stint in the hospital.

In addition, Sgt. Brown was another person who made the extra attempts to stop and check on the family at home.

“Sgt. Brown was there for my family. He and so many of the others involved went way above and beyond the call of duty. They deserve recognition for everything they did for us.”

Today, Kayden will require only a few minor procedures to conceal the scars from the accident.

“Thanks again to all. You will never be forgotten. You are in my thoughts and prayers daily,” his mother concluded her letter.

Share this post

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google BookmarksSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn