Bellefontaine Examiner

Switch to desktop

National radar museum dedicated

Community leaders and former staff members, spouses and friends gathered Saturday for the formal dedication of the new National Air Defense Radar Museum at the site of the former 664th AC&W/Radar Squadron on the Ohio Hi-Point Career Center campus.

Radar-1105

ABOVE: One of the pieces of equipment to be displayed at the National Air DeFense Radar Museum on the Ohio Hi-Point Career Center campus is this planned position indicator, shown by Air Force Radar Museum Association president Jerry Walker. FRONT PAGE PHOTO: Air Force Radar Museum Association president Jerry Walker, right, reflects on the former 664th AC&W/Radar Squadron with Cliff and Sue Bays atop FPS-26, the new National Air Defense Radar Museum located on the Ohio Hi-Point Career Center campus, where a dedication ceremony was conducted Saturday. (EXAMINER PHOTO | RICK PITTS)

The museum is dedicated to preserving the memory of all Cold War-era radar bases that helped thwart “enemy sneak attacks.”

As Ohio’s highest point, Campbell Hill was chosen by the federal government to be part of the North American Air Defense Command during the Cold War era, and was home to some 1,700 servicemen- and women and civilian employees from 1951 to 1969.

After the base closed in 1969, many staffers chose to stay and make Bellefontaine and Logan County their permanent homes and some continue to reside here.

Read complete story in Monday's Examiner. CLICK HERE to subscribe today!

Share this post

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google BookmarksSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn