Bellefontaine Examiner

Switch to desktop

Extensive damage reported after structure fire near West Liberty

West Liberty firefighters responded to a large structure fire in rural Champaign County Friday just before 8 p.m.

The fire was located at Chris and Denise Reed’s 5669 Yearian Rd. residence, southwest of West Liberty.

According to West Liberty Fire Chief John Esch, the blaze originated in the attic area and spread throughout the heating ducts.

“(The fire) started in a section of insulated chimney pipe, caused by a wood burning stove,” said Chief Esch.

He says members of the family were home when the fire began and no injuries were reported.

Official damage estimates have not yet been compiled. However, Chief Esch says substantial damage was done to the residence.

“The damage was extensive and I question whether the home can be saved,” he said.

Mr. Reed is the son of West Liberty firefighter Larry Reed.

Urbana and Rosewood fire departments responded with mutual aid. Crews were on scene until after 2 a.m. battling the fire.

“It was a very stubborn fire,” said Chief Esch. “It was difficult to get to and very difficult to combat.”

The fire remains under investigation.

Share this post

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google BookmarksSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn