Bellefontaine Examiner

Switch to desktop

Fire destroys lawn tractor

Lois Lovett believed at first the smoke she smelled about 7:30 p.m. Thursday was the result of a wood burning stove coming into her house, or maybe even next door, but as the smell grew thicker, she dispatched husband Bob to investigate.

“He looked through the house and basement and when he opened the door to get into the garage, there was no going into the garage,” she said by phone this morning.

Crews from Tri-Valley Fire and EMS with mutual aid from Bellefontaine firefighters spent about two hours at the 3220 County Road 55 property putting out a fire that originated in an attached garage.

“It started on our Cub Cadet. We call it our four-wheeler,” Mrs. Lovett said, detailing how her husband had piled fresh cut firewood and a can of gasoline on top of the all-terrain vehicle.

“We don’t know how it started, but there was lots of smoke coming from the garage.”

No one was hurt. Minor smoke damage was reported to the walls of the garage, but the residence itself was unaffected, Mrs. Lovett said, adding that firefighters were able to remove the ATV from the garage and used industrial fans to air out the structure.

“It smells like smoke in here,” she said. “We’ve got the furnace on and the windows open.

“We’ll have to get a new Cub Cadet, but we’re glad everyone is OK.”

Share this post

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google BookmarksSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn