Bellefontaine Examiner

Switch to desktop

Electrical short sparks fire

An office supply chain store is closed today after an electrical short sparked a fire that caused several thousand dollars worth of damage to electrical equipment.

Staples 1009

An electrical fire that occurred Monday evening at Staples, 2250 S. Main St., caused an estimated $50,000 worth of damage and resulted in the store's temporary closure. (Examiner Photo/Nate Smith)

Firefighters from Bellefontaine Fire Department were dispatched about 7:15 p.m. Monday to Staples, 2250 S. Main St., in reference to a fire that originated in the back of the building. Fire crews were on scene for about two hours and were able to limit the damage to the rear of the store. No merchandise was damaged as a result of the fire, a store manager reported this morning.

Still, firefighters estimate upwards of $50,000 worth of damage could have been caused to electrical panels and equipment.

The local Staples will be closed at least through today and possibly through Wednesday, management said.

Next door, Lowe’s was operating on backup generators, firefighters said, as the neighboring fire impacted its electricity supply for a couple hours.

Share this post

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google BookmarksSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn